6 Tips to Guarantee a Smooth School Morning
When my oldest started school this past September, it quickly became obvious that we needed to figure out how to streamline our mornings. Here are the solutions that we have found to work best to avoid running out the door at the last minute chasing the school bus!
- Make sure that YOU get enough sleep. Bedtimes are important for kids, but sticking to your own bedtime is important too. Ensuring that you are well rested in the morning will make a HUGE difference in your routine!
- Prepare anything you can the night before. Pack lunches and backpacks, lay clothes out and make sure everything is ready to go. The less scrambling that you have to do in the morning, the better!
- Wake up before your kids. This may seem impossible (my boys are up around 5 am!) but even having just 10 minutes alone to drink a *hot* cup of coffee can make you less cranky and far more productive!
- Create routine charts with pictures for little ones. Use specific times and have visible clocks for kids to see. Keep things consistent and you will be surprised how quickly your kids start doing things on their own!
- Make breakfast easy. Save hot breakfasts for weekends. Have cereal, yogurt and fruit handy, older kids can even get their own!
- Keep school things (backpack, library books etc.) in one (and the same!) spot everyday. This makes it easy to grab on your way out the door, knowing that everything is there!
What is your morning routine? Any tips or tricks to make things easier? Leave a comment below and let me know!