Top 5 Ottawa Taco Stops
As a lover of Mexican cuisine, I am always searching for the best! After having recently visited several eateries, I have finally compiled a list of my top 5 taco stops in and around Ottawa! From genuine cantinas to fast food joints, this list has something for everyone!
1. Burrito Borracho (105A Clarence St., Ottawa): Located in the heart of the Byward Market, Burrito Borracho offers a wide array on authentic Mexican cuisine from tacos to burritos and quesadillas. With several types of tacos, there is something to please everyone! All tacos are mix and match for $2.50 each on Tuesdays after 5 pm! Recommended: Chicken, chipotle pulled pork or frijolero tacos.
2. Zak’s Cantina (10 Byward Market Square, Ottawa): Found in the Byward Market, Zak’s Cantina has recreated an authentic Mexican diner. With a variety of Mexican dishes and famous milkshakes, you won’t leave Zak’s hungry! A full breakfast menu makes Zak’s a must try for brunch too! For a night out, check out their Escape Nights promo! (Read about my experience here). Recommended: Chicken enchiladas, chicken tortilla soup, margarita milkshake.
3. Barburrito (450 St. Joseph Blvd., Gatineau, Various locations): Bright and open, Barburrito offers Mexican food to satisfy any taste buds! Friendly and efficient, the employees will prepare your meal with the ingredients of your choice right in front of your eyes! Their signature sauces and salsas are chopped and prepared fresh in their kitchen! Recommended: Chicken soft tacos, cheese and chicken quesadilla.
4. Ola Cocina (62 Barrette St., Ottawa): In Ottawa’s Vanier neighbourhood, Ola Cocina serves a variety of tacos, among other Mexican fare. Quaint and colourful, this restaurant is cozy and welcoming. The homemade tortillas are a must try of course! Ola Cocina is very accommodating for kids, making quesadillas exactly to order. Colourful and creative, the dishes here are as delicious as they look! Recommended: Spicy fried chicken taco and elotes (Mexican street corn on the cob).
5. Chipotle (50 Rideau St., Ottawa): Located in the Rideau Centre, Chipotle guarantees a tasty meal on the go! With several choices of proteins, (tofu included!) the options are endless! Fresh made guacamole and tortilla chips compliment anything that you choose! So many options for topping means that you can have something different every time! Recommended: Sofritas soft tacos, chips and guacamole.
If you enjoy Mexican food, I recommend trying my top 5 choices here in Ottawa! From authentic cantinas to fast food chains, you are sure to find something to enjoy! Can’t decide? Visit them all, you won’t be disappointed!